North Carolina Disability Grants

Disability Grants for North Carolina Residents

Disability grants for North Carolina residents can come from many places for persons with disabilities living in North Carolina. Many can go toward leasing or buying a new or used wheelchair van or implement modifications for their vehicles and accessories. The latter include dropped floors, access ramps, various types of wheelchair or scooter lifts, swiveling seating systems and adaptive driving controls, among others.

If you require financial assistance affording your handicapped-accommodating vehicle, and if you live in Raleigh or another North Carolina location, the following disability grants for North Carolina resident based groups are your starting points. Contact a mobility consultant and find those most relevant to your situation. Many allow you to apply for monetary aid directly from them; others direct you toward sources of disability grants for North Carolina residents for which you or a family member might qualify.

Reach out to state branches of nationwide organizations and foundations dedicated to your particular cause of impaired mobility, too. Many offer disability grants for North Carolina residents but all provide useful information for your search.


North Carolina Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)

ADRCs are in place nationwide to supply disabled and senior citizens with reliable information about the services and benefits to which they are entitled. They are collaboratively run by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the US Administration on Community Living.

2101 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2101
(919) 855-3400


North Carolina Area Agencies on Aging (AAA)

Click the link above to locate your area’s AAA. It’s an important resource for people living in North Carolina with age- or disability-related mobility limitation or other struggles for independence. It can offer guidance for securing financial aid for a wheelchair van or accessibility conversions.

2001 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-2001
(919) 855-4800


North Carolina Assistive Technology Program (NCATP)

Device demonstrations and loans, assistive technology training, help finding financial aid for these technologies and other services are available to disabled North Carolina residents through NCATP. Inquire within for assistance deciding where to turn for disability grants you can apply toward a handicap van.

4900 Waters Edge Dr., Suite 250
Raleigh, NC 27606
(919) 233-7075


North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities (CDD)

The Council is governed by a majority-disabled, Governor-appointed board tasked with promoting systems change to allow individual with intellectual and other developmental disabilities and their families to participate in the design of and have access to culturally competent services and supports, as well as other assistance and opportunities, which promote inclusive communities. The Council doesn’t provide grant money to individuals for vehicles or vehicle modifications, but it’s a good contact for guidance.

3125 Poplarwood Court, Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27604
(919) 850-2901 or (800) 357-6916


North Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)

The DVA in North Carolina advocates on behalf of state residents who are US veterans, helping them secure the benefits they’re entitled to. Such benefits often include financial aid for a handicapped-accessible vehicle if mobility impairment resulted from military service or treatment provided by the VA.

1315 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1315
(919) 807-4250


North Carolina Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS)

North Carolina’s DVRS offers job placement services and other support geared toward helping in-state persons with disabilities achieve greater independence through rewarding employment. If acquiring a handicap van would enable you to find and hold down a job, this division of the state’s Department of Health and Human Services may award you a disability grant for this purpose. Contact a mobility consultant to find your county’s office.


North Carolina Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)

SILCs all around the nation are federally-mandated. They’re run by a majority-disabled, Governor-appointed board tasked with promoting the principles of independent living for elderly and disabled state residents. The council doesn’t bestow grant money, but it’s a good contact for guidance.

505 Oberlin Road, Suite 206
Raleigh, NC 27605
(919) 835-3636

Call Today for a FREE Consultation