New Jersey Disability Grants

Disability Grants and Funding for New Jersey Residents

Disability grants for New Jersey residents are available from a few organizations and/or state agencies for the purchase of wheelchair stair lifts for your automobile or home.  Or, are you interested in handicapped accessibility equipment like a wheelchair lift or hand controls for adaptive driving? If so, there are a number of state-based initiatives that provide grants or other financial aid to people with limited mobility. If you have a disability, you may qualify for all sorts of monetary assistance.

The list below includes places to get started looking for disability grants for New Jersey residents. Some of the groups highlighted don’t offer direct financial aid themselves, but they can at least help you locate sources of grants for which you might qualify.  So if you live in Trenton, or any other town or city in New Jersey, disability grants for New Jersey residents can be used for purchasing wheelchair or scooter stair lifts for your residence, wheelchair or scooter lifts for your vehicle, curved stair lifts for your home, ramps, chair lifts, modifications to your current vehicle and more.

Besides the following agencies and organizations, also get in touch with those that specifically address your type of disability with local offices.


Adam Taliaferro Foundation

This foundation provides financial assistance and other support to student athletes in New Jersey (as well as Pennsylvania and Delaware) who suffer a debilitating injury during a school-sanctioned sporting event. It was set up in honor of Adam Taliaferro, a football player from Voorhees, NJ who suffered a spinal cord injury during game play.

P.O. Box 8232
Turnersville, New Jersey 08012
(856) 582-0212


Area Agency on Aging (AAA)

New Jersey’s AAA has branches in each of the state’s 21 counties. The Agency is dedicated to helping elderly residents maintain independence. Through this link, you can track down the location and contact information for your county’s office.


Assistive Technology Center (ATC)

ATC is a comprehensive resource for New Jersey residents who require some type of assistive technology. This is a key source of information, education and aid for in-state people with disabilities. The Center may be able to help if you need a wheelchair van to get to school or work.

1005 Whitehead Road Extension, Suite 1
Ewing, New Jersey 08638
(888) 322-1918 ext. 595


Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (VA), State of New Jersey

Disabled veterans residing in New Jersey can find assistance—financial and otherwise—through the state’s VA. If you became disabled in the course of service, or if your condition was made worse during service, or if your disability was the result of or exacerbated during VA-sponsored activities, you are probably entitled to money for a wheelchair van.

P.O. Box 340
Trenton, NJ 08625-034


Disability Rights New Jersey (DRNJ)

DRNJ does not directly provide grants or other financial assistance. However, it helps state residents find and obtain grants and low-interest loans to be put toward assistive technology. It is also a good resource for many other purposes, including for legal representation of disabled individuals.

210 South Broad Street, 3rd Floor
Trenton, New Jersey 08608
(609) 292-9742 or (800) 922-7233


New Jersey Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)

Use this link to find the NJ ADRC that serves your county. These Centers are important sources of information and aid for elderly state residents and those that have a disability. The ways in which they can help you are numerous and varied.


New Jersey Council on Developmental Disabilities (NJCDD)

NJCDD is the state chapter of the Federal Council on Developmental Disabilities, and it uses the federally ascribed definition of developmental disabilities. It is a leading source of information, grants and other forms of aid for people with any of these conditions or at a high risk of developing one. If you have such a disability, the Council can help you get a handicap van.

P.O. Box 700
Trenton, NJ 08625-0700
(609) 292-3745 or (800) 792-8858


New Jersey Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS)

The NJ DVRS works to keep in-state people with disabilities working. They offer a variety of services and financial aid to these ends. Ask about available financial assistance for acquiring the accessible vehicle you need to find a job and to get to it every day. With offices all over the state; locate the one most convenient to you on their website.


New Jersey Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)

The New Jersey SILC is devoted to helping persons with disabilities residing in the state to achieve and maintain independence and self-determination. It operates under the auspices of the NJ Department of Labor. The majority of the Council is made up of people with disabilities, as is mandated by law. Use this link to locate the branch nearest you.


Northeast Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Center

ADA Centers around the country serve citizens with disabilities. A number of branches around the country serve sizable geographic areas or smaller, more densely populated areas. This chapter serves NJ and NY residents. Contact it for information and to discover avenues to disability grants for a handicap van or accessibility modifications.

Employment and Disability Institute
Cornell University
ILR School
201 Dolgen Hall
Ithaca, New York 14853
(800) 949-4232

Call Today for a FREE Consultation