Connecticut Disability Grants

Disability Grants and Funding for Connecticut Residents

Welcome to Disability grants for Connecticut residents; a resource for discovering disability grant possibilities for Connecticut residents. The organizational bodies below were carefully accumulated by The Mobility Resource as places for you to find funding or to receive assistance in finding funding for your new or used wheelchair van. It doesn’t matter if you’re looking to buy or to install accessibility equipment like a wheelchair or scooter ram, lift, outwardly pivoting seats, or adaptive driving controls. Disability grants can help with the cost of any of it.

As you set out to uncover Connecticut-based financial aid resources, start with the state government agencies and other groups listed below. All can help with your dream of acquiring a handicap van for increased independence, self-determination, freedom and standard of living.

Remember, too, that there are foundations and organizations dedicated to your disability. Most are national, but maintain chapters in Connecticut. Contact these branches to learn about their disability grants and other funding sources they may know of.


Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS), State of Connecticut

Connecticut’s BRS is funded federally by the US Department of Education’s Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services and the Rehabilitation Services Administration. Its goal is to help the state’s disabled find and maintain employment. It offers disability grants for those requiring special transportation to go into work and other support.

Department of Social Services
25 Sigourney Street, 11th Floor
Hartford, CT 06106

(860) 424-4844 or toll free (800) 537-2549



Connect-Ability uses federal funds to improve access to employment for Connecticut’s disabled population. It works to break down the barriers that stand between the disabled and a rewarding job. This includes helping with transportation hurdles, and the group can help you get a handicapped-accessible van if you need it.

(866) 844-1903

Connecticut Aging and Disabilities Resource Centers (ADRCs)

ADRCs, operated jointly by the US Administration on Community Living and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, are major resources for senior citizens and persons with disabilities across the country. Offices are located all around the state.

Connecticut Association of Area Agencies on Aging (C4A)

C4A is comprised of five offices serving Connecticut’s elderly population. Direct funding tends to go to groups, not individuals, but the Agency can steer you toward appropriate funding sources for your accessible vehicle.


Connecticut Council on Developmental Disabilities (CDD)

The Connecticut CDD works tirelessly to provide access to education, meaningful work and community life for people with developmental disabilities. If you or a family member has a condition classified as a developmental disability, the Council may help fund your wheelchair van with a grant.

460 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106-1308

(860) 418-6160 or (800) 653-1134

Connecticut Department of Veterans’ Affairs (VA)

VAs around the nation work to support our veterans. If you’re a disabled veteran living in Connecticut, this is your source for help. The VA often awards grants to meet the mobility needs of veterans injured in the line of duty. Money may also be available if you have a disability that was only aggravated during service, or if it came about during (or was exacerbated by) VA care.

287 West Street
Rocky Hill, CT 06067

(860) 616-3600


Connecticut Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)

This is Connecticut’s branch of a nationwide organization set up by law to promote the principles of equal access and independent living for Americans with disabilities. The 23-member Council is appointed by the Governor, and consists of a majority of disabled Connecticut residents. This is a good resource when looking for sources of financial aid for your wheelchair van.

Suites 132 & 134,
151 New Park Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106


Connecticut Tech Act Project (CTTAP)

CTTAP is dedicated to getting assistive technology to the disabled and elderly Connecticut residents who need it for full participation in school, work and community life. They teach you how to use equipment and even lend it out temporarily, and they can help you secure financial aid for the assistive technologies you could benefit from.

25 Sigourney Street, 11th Floor
Hartford, CT 06106

(860) 424-4881 or (800) 537-2549


New England Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Center

Persons with disabilities in Connecticut are served by The New England ADA Center, the area’s chapter of the National Network of ADA Centers. It endeavors to promote and strengthen the independence, self-determination, rights and quality of life of all state residents with a disability. This is an essential source of information and assistance while trying to locate all the disability grants for which you might qualify for acquiring a wheelchair van.

180-200 Portland Street
Suite 1
Boston, MA 02114

(617) 695-1225 or (800) 949-4232


Obie Harrington-Howes Foundation (OHHF)

OHHF is a nonprofit that awards grant money to Connecticut residents who have suffered a spinal cord injury. Disability grants are given to promote mobility, independence and access to education.

P.O.Box 2221
Darien, CT 06820

(888) 265-5859

Call Today for a FREE Consultation